Attorney Profile: Luke Ellis
Get an immediate e-mail response to your request:
Luke Ellis at a Glance:
J. D., University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1975
B. A., Antioch College (OH), 1972
Luke Ellis is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a past and current selection for the Northern California Super Lawyers as well as The Best Lawyers in America. In 2012, he was selected as one of the Top 100 Attorneys Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers. Mr. Ellis was named Best Lawyer of the Year for 2014-Personal Injury, by Best Lawyers of America.
Mr. Ellis has one of the largest personal injury jury trial verdicts on record in Alameda County. He has the largest wrongful death jury verdict in Contra Costa County history. In 2009, he had one of the top 100 verdicts in the nation, and in 2011 one of top 15 personal injury verdicts in California. In 2013 Mr. Ellis had the largest recovery for an individual against a bus company in California history.
Mr. Ellis’ recent case results include:
- $20.452 Million against AC Transit
- $11.7 Million for a road defect case
- $111.7 Million in the Tenet Healthcare Cases
- $10.65 Million for a wrongful death in the Walnut Creek Gas Pipeline Case
- $9.2 Million in the Sulzer Hip Implant Litigation
- $7.5 Million for a big-rig collision
He was appointed by the courts to serve as one of the lead plaintiff attorneys in the Judicial Council Coordinated Proceedings (JCCP) in all three cases; in total, these cases settled for $442 Million, $95 Million, and $1.05 Billion, respectively.
He has served as Vice President of the California Trial Lawyers Association (CTLA) and Vice President of the Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC), organizations dedicated to the protection of the civil justice system and the rights of injured persons and consumers.
Mr. Ellis has tried numerous civil and criminal jury and court trials. He has written and lectured widely in the field of trial practice, and has chaired numerous educational seminars in all fields of litigation. He was a consultant to the California Continuing Education of the Bar for their 1995, 1997 and 1999 California Trial Objections, Third through Seventh Editions. He is a co-author of the Government Tort Liability Practice, Third Edition, published by California Continuing Education of the Bar.
Mr. Ellis serves regularly as a Court Settlement Commissioner by appointment of the Contra Costa and Alameda County Superior Courts.
He also teaches mock trial at Miramonte High School in Orinda, where his teams have won the county championship, sponsored by the Contra Costa County Office of Education (CCCOE), ten out of the last twelve years.
View Luke’s Northern California Super Lawyers profile.
- California, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1976
- Lecturer, Trial Practice, California Trial Lawyers Association
- “Maximizing Settlements,” Alameda Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association
- “Cross-Examination,” San Francisco Bar Association
- “The Defective Sulzer Hip Litigation,” Alameda County Superior Courts
- ”Handling Products Liability Cases,” Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB)
- “Use and Admissibility of Demonstrative Exhibits,” San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association
- ”Demonstrative Evidence,” California Trial Lawyers Association (now CAOC)
- “Opening Statements,” California Trial Lawyers’ Association
- “Automobile Cases,” California Trial Lawyers’ Association
- “Selected Evidentiary Issues,” California Trial Lawyers’ Association
- “Jury Selection,” California Trial Lawyers’ Association
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA)
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Alameda County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- California Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America