Bike safety is a cause that’s near and dear to our hearts, and we’re proud to once again work with some of the Bay Area’s top retailers to make the necessary safety gear available and affordable to young cyclists. This is the second year we’ve run this particular promotion, and we’re once again offering a free helmet with each child’s bike that goes out the door from August 18th through Sunday, August 31st.
Because wearing a helmet is one of the easiest things you can do to reduce your risk of head injury when riding a bike, we want to do everything we can to promote this as a best practice and make helmets available to children in the community.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, less than half of all Americans wear a helmet while riding their bike. Additionally, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that not only has helmet use been estimated to reduce head injury risk by as much as 85 percent, but when you look at the statistics from the past few years the vast majority (83 percent) of fatally injured cyclists were not wearing a helmet.
Now, as part of a Back to School campaign to encourage young riders to model safe behavior, helmets are being handed out at a variety of local bike shops. The stores participating in this year’s promotion are:
Street Level Cycles, 84 Bolivar Drive, Berkeley
Bay Area Bikes, 2400 Broadway, Oakland
Eden Bicycles, 3318 Village Dr, Castro Valley
Livermore Cyclery, 2752 1st St, Livermore
Alameda Bicycle, 1522 Park Street, Alameda
All five stores will be throwing in a free helmet of up to $40 whenever a bike is purchased by–or on behalf of–someone 18 or under. Stop in before the end of the month and take advantage of the offer. If you’re looking to buy your kid a new bike before they head back to school this fall, you might as well get a free helmet too.
What are the benefits kids bike helmets?
Bike helmets are an essential safety accessory for anyone who rides a bicycle, from toddlers to adults. They offer numerous benefits to ensure a safe and comfortable riding experience. Here are some of the key advantages of wearing a bike helmet:
- Protection: The most significant benefit of a kids bike helmet is that it provides protection to the head and brain in the event of an accident. Helmets are designed to absorb the impact of a crash and reduce the risk of head injury.
- Safety: Bike helmets are proven to reduce the risk of head injury in the event of a crash. This is why many states, including California, have laws that require children under the age of 18 to wear helmets while riding a bicycle.
- Comfortable: Today’s kids bike helmets are designed with comfort in mind. Many are made with lightweight materials and are equipped with padding to make them comfortable to wear, even on long rides.
- Fit: Bike helmets should fit properly to be effective. Most helmets come in various sizes and have adjustable straps to ensure a snug and secure fit. A helmet that is too loose or too tight can compromise its effectiveness in an accident.
- Adjustable: The straps on bike helmets are adjustable, making it possible to get the perfect fit. This is particularly important for children, as their heads grow quickly, and they need a helmet that will fit properly at all times.
Kids bike helmets offer a multitude of benefits to ensure a safe and comfortable riding experience. They provide protection to the head and brain in the event of a crash, are comfortable to wear, and can be adjusted to fit properly. So, it’s essential to always wear a bike helmet while riding a bicycle, and make sure it fits properly.
What are some tips for choosing the right kids bike helmet for your child?
Choosing the right kids bike helmet is crucial to ensure the safety and protection of your child while they are riding their bicycle. As a parent, you want to make sure you select a helmet that fits well, provides maximum protection, and is within your budget. Here are some tips to help you choose the right kids bike helmet for your child:
- Bicycle injury prevention: The first and foremost consideration when choosing a kids bike helmet is the level of protection it provides. Make sure the helmet you select is certified by a reputable organization, such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which ensures that it has passed strict safety standards.
- Style: Kids can be picky about the style of their helmets. So, try to find a helmet that fits their style preferences while also meeting safety standards. A child is more likely to wear their helmet if they like the style.
- Price: Bike helmets can range in price from under $20 to over $100. While it’s tempting to save money by buying a cheaper helmet, it’s important to consider that the helmet’s price is often a reflection of its level of protection.
- Reviews: Reading customer reviews can help you learn about the quality and comfort of different kids bike helmets. Pay attention to any comments about the fit, adjustability, and ease of use of the helmet.
- Questions: Before you buy a kids bike helmet, ask yourself and your child the following questions: Does it fit properly? Is it comfortable to wear? Does it stay in place during a crash?
- Size: Proper fit is crucial for the effectiveness of a kids bike helmet. Make sure to measure your child’s head before you buy a helmet to ensure you get the right size. Most helmets come in different sizes, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s size chart before making a purchase.
Choosing the right kids bike helmet is essential to ensure the safety and protection of your child in the event of an accident or crash. Consider factors such as protection, style, price, reviews, questions, and size when selecting a helmet for your child.