While it is always a wise idea to consult with a skilled attorney after any type of bicycle accident, the following are some signs that you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible
- You have sustained injuries If you have injuries that have been diagnosed following your accident, you will have medical bills relating to the treatment you received. Such treatment can be costly, especially for severe injuries. In addition, serious injuries may cause you to miss work and lose income. As you incur losses, you should discuss with an attorney your rights and options to seek compensation for those losses.
- The driver of the car that hit you is denying fault — In some cases, a driver will admit fault and your recovery will be relatively straightforward. In other situations, a driver will try to blame the accident on you, claiming you were negligent while riding your bicycle. Whenever fault is contested, your financial recovery may be complicated, so you should call an attorney immediately.
- You need to make a third party insurance claim — Following an accident, you may want to file a claim with the driver’s insurance to seek compensation for your losses. Bicyclist claims can be complex, however, and insurance companies will work to avoid liability whenever possible. To ensure your best chances of recovery, speak to a lawyer who can help you file a persuasive and comprehensive claim with the necessary supporting evidence.
- You have received a settlement offer from an insurance company — Even if you filed an insurance claim on your own and received an offer for a lump sum settlement, you should never accept a settlement without first having an experienced bicycle accident lawyer review the offer. It is easy to underestimate your losses in a bicycle accident case and, if you accept an offer that is too low, you will not be able to later ask for more or to file a legal claim against the at-fault driver. An attorney can estimate the value of your losses and advise whether a settlement offer is adequate or not.
- Your injuries have caused you significant pain and suffering or permanent disability — If your injuries are particularly serious and you have suffered significant intangible losses including pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, or permanent disability, you should call a highly experienced lawyer to handle your case right away.Compensation for such extensive losses often cannot be obtained through an insurance company and a claim for personal injury will have to be pursued to ensure you receive all that you deserve for your extensive losses.
Discuss a Possible Case with a Skilled California Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been in a bicycle accident, there are many ways an experienced California bicycle accident lawyer can help you. The best way to learn more about how an attorney can assist in your particular case is to call the office of GJEL Accident Attorneys at 866-218-3776 today.
We have helped many injured victims of bicycle accidents and will provide guidance and advice throughout your case. We offer free consultations, so please contact our office for more information about how we can help you recover for your losses.