In 2015 six teenagers died every day in the United States from injuries sustained in motor vehicle collisions. Studies show that the overwhelming majority (75%) of serious teen driver crashes are due to “critical errors such as a lack of scanning that is needed to detect and respond to hazards on the road, going too fast for road conditions, and being distracted by something inside or outside of the vehicle.”
At GJEL Accident Attorneys our mission is to help create safer communities, and this means advocating for more awareness around the most common causes of teenage driver related crashes.
The GJEL Safe Teen Driver Scholarship
For our inaugural scholarship contest, we are asking students to challenge themselves to become better drivers and/or better passengers.
- Take our safe driver’s pledge:
- I pledge to never be distracted by my phone while driving.
- I pledge to never get behind the wheel if I’ve consumed alcohol or drugs.
- I pledge to insist that all passengers wear their seat belt while I’m the driver.
- I pledge to speak up when I am the passenger in a car where the driver is driving in a dangerous fashion.
- I pledge to never text someone who I know to be driving.
- Create a blog using WordPress.
- Over the course of a month, write at least 4 blog entries detailing your efforts to stay true to the safe driver/passenger pledge. We encourage you to be honest with yourself here. If you fail to live up to your pledge, discuss how you failed and what you’ll do to be better moving forward.
- Link to this page from each post.
- Share each entry with us on Facebook.
Applicants must be EITHER out-going high school seniors (graduating in 2018) OR students enrolled in a college, trade school, or university as of the fall 2018 semester.
$2,500 to be put toward costs associated with high education including tuition, books, or room and board.
Deadline for Participation
December 31, 2018
*A winner will be announced on or before August 15, 2018