Practice Area : Wrongful Death
- From the minute you call about the loss of a loved one, you will be treated with compassion, respect, and diligence. You’ll speak with managing partner Andy Gillin immediately, with no charge or obligation.
- We specialize in wrongful death cases, and focus on the emotional as well as the economic issues facing families who are going through this devastating experience.
- From funeral expenses to salary replacement, we work with you to get your family back on its feet.
- We will assist other family members injured in the same accident with medical care and other expenses.
- We’ve lectured to thousands of other lawyers on the intricacies of wrongful death cases in California.
- Less-experienced lawyers frequently refer cases involving wrongful death to GJEL.
- Your family will pay nothing for our expertise until we recover money for you.
- We’ll help you with your expenses.
- We’ve recovered over $600 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients and their families.
- We’ve won thousands of accident cases–a success rate of over 99%.
- We have obtained top honors from Best Lawyers in America, Northern California Super Lawyers, and Martindale-Hubbell.
- We regularly get better and faster results than other wrongful death lawyers without our reputation.
- Our lawyers will meet with you at your home, at our offices, or in the hospital, including nights or weekends.
- GJEL was featured on the cover of the 2009 issue of San Francisco’s Best Lawyers magazine.
The best results in wrongful death cases are obtained by experienced litigators — attorneys who are capable of preparing the matter for trial and presenting the case convincingly to a judge or jury. The wrongful death attorneys at Gillin, Jacobson, Ellis, Larsen & Lucey have spent more than 30 years in courtrooms throughout the state of California; we’ve developed a strong reputation amongst judges and other lawyers.
Our goal is to help the survivors and beneficiaries of wrongful death victims get the settlements they deserve. We have particular experience in cases involving:
- Car Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Automobile Defects
We invite you to call 1-866-218-3776 or email email@example.com to speak with our experienced attorneys if you or a loved one has been injured by a defective product. We provide free consultation, and we’re paid only when we win your claim. You’ll pay no fees if we don’t obtain a verdict or settlement for you.
Please visit the Contact Us page to find our local office nearest you.
WHAT IS A WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIM?
A wrongful death claim is a lawsuit alleging that the decedent was killed as a result of negligence (or fault) on the part of one or more defendants. The surviving dependents or beneficiaries may be entitled to monetary damages as a result of the defendant’s negligent conduct.
The professional and personal care that everyone at GJEL has extended to our family has been beyond compare.
–M. and S.
See more GJEL Reviews
Under “common law” (the general legal principles passed along from England to America over hundreds of years) this type of claim did not exist. It was reasoned that the claim died with the victim, and the surviving family members could not claim damages from the person who caused the victim’s death. To correct this injustice, individual states have passed “wrongful death statutes” over the years, and some form of wrongful death claim action now exists in all state jurisdictions. While they all follow some common principles, each state has drafted its own form of “wrongful death statute.”
If you live in California and believe you have a valid claim for the wrongful death of a family member, please contact Gillin, Jacobson, Ellis, Larsen & Lucey to speak directly to an experienced Northern California wrongful death attorney about the requirements for pursuing a wrongful death case in California.
WHAT CONSTITUTES A WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIM?
Generally speaking, the death must be caused, in whole or part, by the conduct of the defendant; the defendant must generally be negligent (special rules apply in certain product liability cases); there must be a surviving spouse, children, other legal dependents, or affected heirs; and damages must have arisen from the victim’s death.
WHAT KINDS OF DAMAGES ARE RECOVERABLE IN A WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIM?
The following damages, if applicable, may be recovered in a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Immediate medical and funeral expenses associated with the death;
- Loss of victim’s anticipated future earnings until time of retirement or death;
- Loss of benefits caused by the victim’s death, such as pension and medical coverage.
- Loss of care, protection, and companionship sustained by the survivors;
- In certain circumstances, punitive damages may be recovered in a related action.
This statement is not intended to serve as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Specific legal issues, concerns and conditions always require the advice of appropriate legal professionals.