California has the second highest incidence of truck accidents in the United States. The local driving community must be aware of the risks posed by the constant passage of huge vehicles. But if you ever get involved in a truck accident, you should contact GJEL Accident Attorneys immediately.
Truck Accident Statistics
Driving a truck is dangerous for more than just the driver. Truck and other big rig car crashes are the second leading cause of death on US roads.
- Since 2009, the number of truck accidents has gone up by 52%
- Large trucks are involved in 74% of all car accidents that kill people
- Most truck accidents happen because of a problem with the tires (about 30% of the time)
- 68% of the people killed by trucks are people in other cars
- Around 130,000 people are hurt every year because of truck accidents.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Most truck accidents are caused by a driver, either the truck’s driver or the driver of another car. Here are some common reasons truck drivers get into accidents.
While the law says truck drivers have to take a certain amount of breaks, most ignore it and work for long hours. And this often causes accidents.
Driving While Intoxicated
Commercial drivers are subject to rules that are much stricter about drinking than other drivers. However, some drivers still drive under alcohol and other substances. If you sustain injuries or have lost property from a truck accident caused by a drunk driver, you can consult san francisco truck accident lawyers.
Careless driving includes many careless actions, such as speeding, ignoring traffic lights, passing carelessly on a two-lane road, following too closely, and so on.
Things like texting and speaking on the phone whilst driving can distract truck drivers. Moreover, listening to music to avoid getting bored on a long trip is a form of distracted driving. If you’re a victim of such an accident, look for the best injury attorneys to help you throughout the court proceedings.
Poor Truck Maintenance
Countless truck accidents happen because of poor maintenance. Tires worn out, for instance, can blow out, which can be deadly.
Poor Cargo Loading
A poorly packed cargo could fall out of the truck while it’s moving fast or even causes the truck to tip over. This may be fatal, especially if it happens on a busy road.
Liability in Truck Accidents
A trucking accident could be the fault of more than one person, based on the details and circumstances.
Below are the potentially liable parties in a truck accident:
- Truck drivers — may be held accountable for carelessness, recklessness, or negligence for failing to drive safely
- Trucking companies — may be liable if they fail to train drivers, conduct inspections, or observe safety standards
- Municipality — A city or town may be accountable for an accident if there was a defect in their roads but failed to repair
- Truck manufacturers — truck manufacturers may account for accidents caused by mechanical defects
- Cargo loading firm — cargo loading companies should account for accidents caused by cargo dropping from trucks or trucks overturning
- Other drivers — Sometimes, a trucking accident involves many vehicles. And in some cases, the other drivers are to be blamed for the accident
Truck accident attorneys can help you hold the responsible parties for the harm and damage they’ve caused.
Injuries Sustained in Truck Accidents
When a semi-truck or other commercial truck is involved in an accident, it’s ten times more likely that someone will die than when two passenger cars are implicated. But in a fortunate scenario with no casualties, the victims may sustain serious injuries. They may later use trucking accident attorneys to get their compensation.
The following is a list of the common injuries sustained when a truck accident occurs:
- Back and Neck Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Internal Injuries
You can always consult San Francisco Truck Accident Lawyer if you sustain injuries to help you get compensation.
Compensation Available in Truck Accidents
If you’re a victim of an accident and sustain an injury hurt, you may be able to get paid for the care you get right after the accident, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical Expenses or Medical Care
- Rehabilitation Services
- Custodial Care
- Lost Wage
- Loss of Future Earnings
- Loss of Use of Property
- Property Repair or Replacement
- Costs of Hiring In-Home Services
- Burial Costs
Seek help from qualified truck accident lawyers in San Francisco to help you claim compensation.
How a Lawyer Can Help in a Truck Accident Case
A tractor trailer accident will know how to defend your rights and get you the money you deserve due to your injuries and property loss.
- Filing Your Lawsuit
- Negotiating on Your Behalf
- Investigation of Semi-Truck Accidents
What to Do After a Truck Accident
After a truck accident, the action you take next is significant. There is much to do, like getting medical care, hiring a tractor trailer accidents, and sharing information. However, you need to know the proper steps to get compensated or even stay safe. The steps include:
- Call the police
- Take photographs
- Talk with the other driver
- Seek medical care
- Contact a seasoned truck accident lawyer
- Observe all medical recommendations
- Select a qualified and experienced chiropractor
FAQs About Truck Accidents
How much is my truck accident worth?
Every truck accident is different. Some things that affect how much your truck accident case is worth are the severity of your injuries and the evidence that shows what caused the accident.
Should I seek an attorney after an accident?
You don’t need a lawyer to report an insurance payout or a court case after a truck accident, but it’s a good idea. Your lawyer can find evidence to back up your claim, keep track of the injuries, and negotiate for a fair settlement.
Truck Accident News
A truck flipped over on the road in San Francisco, spilling its cargo all over the road. The road had to be closed so the mess could be cleaned up.
The truck flipped over near Mansell Street and San Bruno Avenue around the Portola community.
The city’s emergency response office told people to stay away from the area.