A personal injury attorney is the type of lawyer that handles wrongful death cases. The hard part is knowing which wrongful death attorney to hire for your case as the experience level of your attorney may have a strong outcome on your case result.
Let’s take a look at some of the things you should look at before hiring a personal injury attorney for your wrongful death case.
Can Any Lawyer Take My Wrongful Death Case?
Generally speaking, it’s best not to hire a general practice attorney who focuses on other areas of law. The main reason for this is that wrongful death cases are very complicated and require a lot of financial resources to successfully take a case through trial.
Most of the time when you hire a general practice attorney you are working with someone who may not have a strong track record of successful wrongful death verdicts and settlements. This lack of experience may also hinder the success of your case resulting which will reduce compensation or worse experience additional losses.
Hiring a Generalist vs. a Specialist
If you’ve heard the phrase “Jack of all trades, master of none” this is something to consider. Typically after a wrongful death lawsuit is filed, insurance companies will fight tooth and nail to ensure they don’t have to pay one more cent than they believe the case is worth. This can result in a case that’s undervalued.
At GJEL Accident Attorneys we specialize in serious injury and wrongful death cases only. Our 99% success rate and $950 Million + recovered are a testament to how we will treat your case. We are true personal injury experts and they’re the only type of cases we take. It’s what has helped us to be recognized consistently as a top personal injury law firm in California.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death claim is a civil action brought by the surviving family members of a person who has died due to the negligence or wrongful act of another. The purpose of a wrongful death claim is to seek financial compensation for the survivors’ losses, such as the loss of the deceased’s love, companionship, and support.
How to Find The Right Attorney for You
Unfortunately, the average wrongful death case can take a year or more to resolve. That’s why first and foremost it’s important to work with an attorney you can have a great relationship with. Here are some of the qualities we recommend you evaluate before choosing an attorney.
- How many wrongful death cases has the firm handled? The more the better. Since these cases can be complex, hiring an attorney with a lot of experience can pay off for you.
- What do past clients say about them? Ask to speak with a few of their previous clients. Do they have good things to say about them? Testimonials are a great way to vet an attorney.
- Check out their online reviews. Do they have a public internet presence? What do people typically say about them?
- Do they have the financial resources to take your case through trial? Sometimes smaller firms may not have the financial resources required to maximize the value of your case. Wrongful death cases are complex and can be expensive.
- How do they charge? Typically speaking most personal injury attorneys like GJEL will charge a contingency fee. This means that you won’t pay unless and until the law firm wins your case.
- What is their success rate? At GJEL Accident attorneys our success rate is 99%
- How much have they recovered in the past? Although previous results do not indicate the potential for future results, the results speak for themselves. GJEL Accident Attorneys has recovered over $950 million dollars for our clients since 1972.
Need a Wrongful Death Lawyer in California? Contact GJEL
If you are in need of a wrongful death lawyer in California please give us a call. Our attorneys are standing by ready to listen to your specific situation and can help advise you on the best course of action for you and your family.
When experience matters, call GJEL Accident Attorneys.